Weekly direct message to multipe users on Slack

(Auke Geerts) #1

Hello!
I’ve been trying to create a flow were my Slack bot sends a automatic weekly message to a specific user or multiple users.
How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Weekly direct message
(Ryan McGuinness) #2

Hello Auke,

This can be done using our wait action. You could schedule the bot to send a message every 7 days.

Are you wanting to send just one message, once a week? or a different message each week?

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Ryan.

(Auke Geerts) #3

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to ask a few specific people some questions every two weeks.
For now, the same message would be fine. But in the future, I’d like to change them a little bit every now and then.

The problem I’m having is with the trigger, as well as sending messages to a specific person.
Could you tell me what trigger I use and how I send messages tot specific persons?

Thank you!

Auke

(John Jackson) #4

Actually I wrote this post a while back explaining how to make a time based trigger with Flow XO, this might give you some ideas:

1 Like
(Auke Geerts) #5

Thanks for your reply John.

I’ve read your post and tried it, but I can’t seem to understand how to get it working.

I’ve set up an outgoing webhook in Slack. That works, I’ve managed to trigger it.
For now, I just want to see if I can send a message using the webhook to a specific person. So I haven’t used a date/time service. What I don’t understand is how to send it to a specific person.

Is it possible to send a direct message to someone, or can you only send messages to a channel?

(Kellsey Shaw) #6

Hi Auke,

The bot messages are sent to a Response Path, which basically tells the bot what Slack channel the message is sent to. Each channel (Group or Direct Message) has it’s own unique response path. It works a bit like a mobile/cell number.

So you need that response path and the way to get it is to have received a message (sent to the bot) from that channel at some point. So whoever you want to send a direct message to needs to have triggered your bot at some point.

Hopefully, this makes sense?

(Auke Geerts) #7

Hello Kellsey,

Thanks for replying!

I think understand what your saying.
What I would like is to send some questions to employees every two weeks.
The bot has to be triggered by a date/time, not by the employee.

But I understand that it’s not possible to let a bot send a message to someone who hasn’t triggered the bot himself, right?

(Kellsey Shaw) #8

Hi Auke,

There’s a simple solution for this.

You just need to get your employees to register for the service. This is a one-time thing that basically just gets the user to send a message to the bot so that it can capture the response path and starts a flow that asks the questions and then waits two weeks before starting itself (use the flow task) again.

So that’s one simple flow to capture the response path. And another to ask the questions and re-run every two weeks.

That means that your questions are scheduled to be sent at a certain date and time and you’ve got the employee to send you their response path so that you can ask those questions. :thumbsup:

1 Like
(Auke Geerts) #9

Thanks Kellsey, it works now!

(ality) #10

Hey @Auke_Geerts, how did you get the webhook to fire? The only way I can see on slack to do this is via CURL, but it doesn’t look like flowxo can do this. I just want to send a simple text message to my slack group when a flow reaches a certain point.

(Karen Barker) #11

Hey there,

There shouldn’t be any need here to use a webhook - you could just use a Bot > Send a Message action to send the message to the users within the flow.

Alternatively you could use our Bot > Custom Message feature or our webhooks service if you wanted to use the slack API to send the message.

If you want any further assistance with this please email in to us at support@flowxo.com and we’ll be happy to assist. :slight_smile: