Restarting the original flow

(Peter) #1

I have an issue similar to Can a flow continue from where it started another flow where I return to my initial flow (Flow0) after some other flow (Flow1) has done something.

If I start Flow0 with Catch-all trigger, I do not see anything odd when the bot starts, but I cannot get back to this flow (since I have read that I can’t trigger Catch-all again with Trigger-a-Flow procedure - can’t find where I saw it, but I really did). I tried triggering it with another /start message or bot name - useless: ‘No triggers matching the keyword’ is all I get.

On the contrary, if I start Flow0 with the Message, I can get back to it, but I need to send this message when the bot first starts. The simplest way is to offer it as a button, but it is still an extra action from the user.

So basically I see two options:

1. How do I restart the flow starting with the Catch-all trigger? OR
  2. How do I start a flow with the Message, but avoid sending it at first start?

Thanks in advance.

Proper way of return to A-flow from B-flow with collected File info and proceeding A flow
(Daniel Beckett) #2

Hi Peter,

A catch-all can only be triggered by the user sending a message that doesn’t match any existing New Message trigger keywords or phrases.

The Flow service can trigger other flows but only those that have a New Message trigger or a Flow Trigger.

If you need to trigger the flow then a New Message trigger would be better - you could always have the catch-all flow triggering this one anyway which basically gives the same result.

Thanks,
Dan

(Peter) #3

Hi Dan,
thanks for getting in touch.

I agree that the New Message trigger is better, but if I start my bot with it, I need user to send something to the bot and catch it. The rest is fine - I can get back to this flow whenever I need it and get more control. But it is this first waiting for a user action makes me crazy. Catch-all is free of that.

Now I understand why I can’t trigger a Catch-all from another flow. Catch-all is started by a message from user, not another flow.

My best solution so far is indeed starting the bot with the Message and offering my users some ridiculously stupid entrance message such as ‘Press the button when you are ready’. Well, they already are if they started a bot…

(Daniel Beckett) #4

Hi Peter,

You could still have a catch-all setup. The catch-all could be used to trigger your New Message Trigger :slight_smile:

(Peter) #5

I thought about that. :slight_smile:

Makes one extra flow, but it is certainly an option.