Can a flow continue from where it started another flow

(mda) #1

Hi,

I have a flow (M_flow) which gets some basic info from the user and triggers a new flow (N_flow). When N_flow is complete, my bot goes back to the beginning of M_flow

I want my bot to start M_flow from where it left, when N_flow was triggered.

Is this not the normal behavior?

Thx,

Restarting the original flow
(Kellsey Shaw) #2

Hi there,

The idea is that you can start another flow and stop the first one or have two or more flows running alongside one another but you can’t break out part way through a flow and then resume it when another has finished, sorry.

Best thing to do is to split it up into 3 flows. Flow 1 runs, then flow 2 and then flow 3.

:thumbsup:

(mda) #3

Thanks Kellsey,

This is helpful.

The reason I was trying to branch into 2nd flow was I need to execute some steps more than once. So, it was expected to perform like:

1. start flow 1
  2. branch to flow 2
  3. execute flow 2 until condition is not met
  4. back to flow 1 and execute rest of flow 1.

From what you are saying, I need to do the following:

A. start flow 1 and go till the end
B. start flow 2 and iterate flow 2 till condition is not met
C. start flow 3 (flow 3 is created from step 4 above)

I hope step C above is possible, i.e. I can iterate a flow until condition is not met.

thx

(Kellsey Shaw) #4

Hi there,

That’s spot on :thumbsup:

I actually do this same process in our demo Pizza bot that you can find under the menu of our Messenger bot so you can check it out if you want to see it in action. :slight_smile: Each section is an individual flow and the flow will be repeated until the user is ready to move to the next section.

(mda) #5

Great. thanks. After struggling a bit, I found the solution.

For you to be able to create a loop, here is what I did. I am capturing so that others can benefit:

1. from the main flow (flow_M), used “flow” --> “trigger a flow” to trigger secondary flow (flow_N).
  2. In flow_N, the first service chosen was “flow” --> “new trigger”. Pls note that “new trigger” will only show up if “flow” is the first service chosen.
  3. call various other services
  4. in the end, choose the service “flow” --> “trigger a flow”. This time use the same word or phrase that was used in step 2, to ensure that flow_N is triggered. It is best to use “filter” to ensure that “flow is repeated” only till you want it to be repeated.

thanks.

1 Like