Updater Row Trigger doesn't work properly

(Yaroslav Rotar) #1

Hello!

I’ve opened an Updated Row trigger for my flow and I think this trigger is a really cool option!
But it works a little strange in my account.
On the start (1-3 list updates) it works fine but it doesn’t cath GSheets List updates at all. I understood that trigger works every 5 minutes.

Maybe it depends on my account status - it’s free for now.
I’m testing available function for my business goals before the purchase. I have 310+ interactions for now.

How should I integrate properly this trigger?

Thank you :wink:

(Daniel Beckett) #2

Hi @Yaroslav_Rotar

Just to clarify, are you saying that the trigger works for the first few updates but then stops working?

Do you see any errors in the Interaction Logs?

Thanks,
Dan

(Yaroslav Rotar) #3

Hi @DanielBeckett :slight_smile:

Thank you for your questions.
I’ve checked logs a few times for different Updated Row triggers of different GSheets files/lists, but unfortunately had the same issue.
It looks like trigger really stops working because I couldn’t find any interactions in logs.
I’ve updated the list, then I wait an estimated time before trigger update, then nothing.
I’ve made this check a lot of times so I really don’t know where is the issue.

Also, I was thinking that there is a problem that I don’t have any actions after the trigger.
I fixed it but have the same issue again.
Sometimes trigger works sometimes not.

Thank you!

(Daniel Beckett) #4

When a row is updated we look for a new unique value that hasn’t been seen before for that row. If a row is changed to have a value that has been previously in that cell before it isn’t always detected - for example, changing to Apples, then to Bananas and then back to Apples likely wouldn’t trigger when changed to Apples for the second time.

If a unique value can be used it will force the row to be checked properly. This can be done by adding a new column to your Google Sheet to use their RAND feature. RAND generates a random number between 0 and 1 in a decimal format and should in almost all instances provide a unique number for the cell.

The formula would look something like this:
=IF(B2=“Apples”,RAND()," ")

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Dan

(Yaroslav Rotar) #5

@DanielBeckett I think that should work and it sounds pretty cool!
I didn’t know about RAND feature :slight_smile:
I’ll try to implement it.

But especially thanx for explanation of the Updated Row trigger working logic!!!
Now I know how to work with it properly.

(Yaroslav Rotar) #6

@DanielBeckett your way works great, so thank you again!

But I have another little question :slight_smile:
All data that I stored from Updated Row trigger I would like so send a special amount of my users.
I’ve already stored their response paths in the proper GSheet List and I’ve already listed them in this Updated Row Flow, but they stored in Collection type.

As I understand I couldn’t use the collection as an array to go from the first to the last value and send my data from Updated Rows to all needed response paths.
How can I do this?

Maybe I should create some kind of a loop, but I’m not sure how can I make a count of Row IDs that then I can use them to send a message with the stored data to every user that give me their response paths.

For what should I look or read the next?

(Daniel Beckett) #7

Have you considered using the Broadcast service instead? This messages out to users directly and could be Filtered to only send to specific users based on an attribute or other values that you’ve captured.

(Yaroslav Rotar) #8

Yes, but I didn’t understand how can I trigger Broadcast from the data that I’ve got from the Updated Rows((

Let me describe:

• I have special events dates in GS
  • I updated them and triggered a flow with the trigger Updated Row
  • I want to share this data with my users but not when I want, but when rows were updated
  • Rows Updated - New events dates stored - Users have their messages with these dates
  • and again and again from every Updated Row with a unique value

If Broadcast that is what I need - how can I push the data from the flow where I didn’t get any response paths so I couldn’t set any attributes with the events dates?

Or maybe I’m just going in a wrong direction))

P.S.
I also tried to use Code action to make an array from a response paths list that I have from a List action.
I’ve tried this function:

• var responsePath = inputs.responsePath.split(“\n”);

with these inputs

• responsePath | {{list_rows.results_+_gsx:responsepath &}}

But this also doesn’t work, because my development skill is quite low((

So @DanielBeckett you my only hope for now)

(Karen Barker) #9

Hi @Yaroslav_Rotar,

A broadcast can be triggered using a webhook. Therefore in your flow which triggers with Updated Row you could add an action to Make A HTTP Request which will in turn trigger the broadcast.

A broadcast will by default send to all your bot users. If you want to only send to a subset of users you’ve got 2 options.

1 - filter the broadcast trigger on perhaps an attribute that is previously stored on a users response path.
2 - Get the list of user response paths within the flow and then filter the send action to only send to these.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

(Yaroslav Rotar) #10

Hi @KarenBarker

Thank you :slight_smile:
Could you please give me some additional info about the second option - list of user response paths.
I’ve have the same idea but I couldn’t understand how can I work with this collection.
Or I should get this list not int the collection type?

Thank you in advance!

(Karen Barker) #11

Hi,

If you use the && manipulator for Collection outputs you’ll be given a comma separated list of the response paths. This can be used in a filter on the send a message action to say Collection Output list contains trigger.responsePath.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

(Yaroslav Rotar) #12

Thank you for your advice :slight_smile:
I’ve tried to implement manipulator, but unfortunately have no comma -http://joxi.ru/E2pegYyu9L4E8A

Maybe I should somewhere add commas?

And the second part of my question - if I’ll have commas how should I operate with them in Filters?
What type of condition should I choose to divide string collection into different values that Send Message action can read s different Response Paths - http://joxi.ru/8AnzV4kUjpopKA

Sorry for a lot of questions, but this option is very important for my flow.

Thank you so much!

(Karen Barker) #13

Sorry - if you have more than 2 results they will be comma separated with the final 2 having an & between them.

In your send a message action you still need to be using the default response path and not changing this at all.
You simply need to filter this action as follows:
Screenshot_2018-12-13%20Flow%20XO

When you broadcast you run the flow for each individual response path. Therefore you’re looking for the current response path within your list of response paths to decide whether to send this message or not. :slight_smile:

(Yaroslav Rotar) #14

@KarenBarker thank you, now I understand how could it work…

But as I see Webhook or HTTPS trigger don’t work together with the Update Row trigger.
I would like to trigger my Broadcast (or flow) as I mentioned before with the Updated Row trigger.
Do I need to PUT response path with the Webhook action to some external HTTPS and then somehow try to get it in an Updated Row flow (maybe broadcast) or I can use your internal actions to do this?

Here is what I mentioned before to Daniel:

(Daniel Beckett) #15

@Yaroslav_Rotar

You would link your Updated Row trigger flow to the HTTP Broadcast trigger flow by using a Webhook & HTTP Request.

For example…

Flow 1
Updated Row Trigger
Make a HTTP Request - use the URL for the webhook trigger from Flow 2 below.

Flow 2
Receive a Webhook Broadcast trigger - this gives you a URL that can be used to trigger the flow which you’ll add to the Make a HTTP Request in Flow 1

Any filtering for response paths would be done in Flow 2.

(Yaroslav Rotar) #16

@DanielBeckett thank you, now I get it!!! It works!!!))

Thank you guys)) you’re the best!

P.S.
I’ve made a subscription)

1 Like