Supporting Slack "message menus"

Hi, I’m looking at using the (relatively) new Slack Message Menus features with FlowXO:

It allows a user to respond to a message by selecting an item from a drop-down list. I’ve used the Custom Request feature to send a menu to a user which works great, then I select an item…

FlowXO gets the response, but it seems FlowXO only gets the name of the menu in the response (“games_list” is the sample json at the link above), but not the actual item selected (e.g. “war”).

Any ideas on how I might be able to use FlowXO to interact with these menus?

Thanks, -R

(Daniel Beckett) #2

Hi Ruben,

My hunch is that the Data Outputs holds the answer here. It may be that you’re missing an underscore to grab the nested data that you need.

If you’re still having trouble getting this to work would it be possible for you to share the flow that you’re testing with? Either here or with our support team by emailing support@flowxo.com

Thanks,
Dan

Below is the Message that I’m sending to myself as a test formatted as per the Slack example:

{
“text”: “Would you like to play a game?”,
“response_type”: “in_channel”,
“attachments”: [
{
“text”: “Choose a game to play”,
“fallback”: “If you could read this message, you’d be choosing something fun to do right now.”,
“color”: “#3AA3E3”,
“attachment_type”: “default”,
“callback_id”: “game_selection”,
“actions”: [
{
“name”: “games_list”,
“text”: “Pick a game…”,
“type”: “select”,
“options”: [
{
“text”: “Hearts”,
“value”: “hearts”
},
{
“text”: “Bridge”,
“value”: “bridge”
},
{
“text”: “Checkers”,
“value”: “checkers”
},
{
“text”: “Chess”,
“value”: “chess”
},
{
“text”: “Poker”,
“value”: “poker”
},
{
“text”: “Falken’s Maze”,
“value”: “maze”
},
{
“text”: “Global Thermonuclear War”,
“value”: “war”
}
]
}
]
}
]
}

After selecting an option from the menu, a message “games_list” gets triggered in FlowXO, but the additional data under “options” in the data is not passed.

I’m guessing FlowXO is ignoring that additional data in the request… is there a way to access that raw json getting sent from Slack? Or perhaps you could allow the flow to receive the whole thing?

Thanks!

(Donald L Wasylyk) #4

This is a bit delayed, but I was curious if anyone ever figured out if it was possible to use this with Data Output formatted a specific way. I did a bit of experimenting myself and always saw the same behavior. Thanks.

(Daniel Beckett) #5

@dlwasylyk

Unfortunately the response back from Slack only includes the item name and not the value (that we detect). A potential workaround could be to set the Interactive Message URL in the Slack app to another service or to post back into another flow (webhook trigger) to handle the raw JSON.

(Angular 499) #6

how to get some message after selecting one from the menu-list i have been trying not getting it?

(Daniel Beckett) #7

Are you using shortcuts from a ‘Send a Message’ action or using the ‘Ask a Question’ action with choice values?

(Thiény K) #8

Hi @DanielBeckett, I’m having the very same problem than the gents in this thread, could you help me?

I’ve setup a custom request in order to display a slack menu dropdown. However, clicking on one option does not send the wished option but the default message every time, flowxo don’t stop to wait for an answer and I can’t figure out a way to log the answer to use later in my flow.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

(Nathan Stults) #9

Can you share your flow with me at support@flowxo.com? I will play with it and see if I can see the issue.

Nathan

1 Like
(Nathan Stults) #10

For all interested parties, there was a bug in Flow XO that was mis-reading responses from slack that came from a pick-list. This has been resolved, and Flow XO will not correctly read slack responses that are sent from “option” attachments.

Nathan