Resetting the Web messenger?

(Chris Booth) #1

Hi all and the Flow XO team,

Loving your chatbot builder and web messenger. I can’t find any information on the forum or on your FAQ regarding how to reset the chat back to the welcome message or clearing the chat history entirely?

I’ve tried clearing my browser history and data, but that didn’t work.

Best,

Chris

(John Jackson) #2

We use local storage - so if you clear that it should reset the messenger. If you’re testing, you can always use private/incognito mode too, which will reset when the window is closed.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

(Chris Booth) #3

Smashing, thanks John

Hi @johnjackson, I’m testing a flow with attributes and I’m more interested to test a “first user” experience (i.e. with empty attributes). I was expecting the Reset of the Test Console to clear attributes as well, but as I read here it doesn’t.

Since it would be quite painful to close the incognito window and open the Test Console again every time I want to “hard reset” the bot, what else do you recommend me doing? Should I simply clear the attributes at the end of the last flow? If so, do you do it by simply setting an attribute to an empty value?

Thanks!

(John Jackson) #5

Resetting the test console should clear attributes, can you let me know if it doesn’t? I agree you need clear attributes to test properly from scratch.

Hi John,

is there no other option, the chat history gets deleted when my users close the chat window or my website? I’d need that option so my users can start the conversation from the beginning.
Also I would love to have the pop-up message everytime my user (re)opens my webpage…is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Carolin

(Karen Barker) #7

Hi Carolin,

Unfortunately the Web Messenger is designed to retain state of messages so users can pick up where they left off or have a visible trace of their previous conversations. The only way to reset the messenger would be to clear the browser cache I’m afraid.

You could however look at using the Web Messenger API to imitate a message from the user when the Web Messenger is opened. This could then trigger the bot to restart. :thumbsup:

The pop up message I’m afraid is set to only show once every 30 days so as not to be intrusive to the user and this isn’t customisable. :disappointed:

Hi Karen,
thanks for the quick reply. We tried your first suggestion. We manage the bot to restart from the beginning but unfortunately all the messages above are still visible…

(Karen Barker) #9

Hi Carolin,

Yes, the only way to clear the above messages is if the user clears their browser cache.

The Web Messenger works in the same way as all other messaging platforms such as Facebook Messenger, Telegram etc The user is in control of the conversation and therefore the history is maintained so the user always can always look back through previous conversations etc. :thumbsup: