Learning Python. Question about the need for Flow xo

(Samson) #1

Hi there all, I’m in the process of learning python and Dialogflow. As I’ve been watching ppl on youtube build chatbots with things like Heroku, Dialogflow, NodeJS, Angular.

I have a few noob questions here.

1. What is the reason’s someone would build out on a framework? Like NodeJs , Angular or I assume for Python Django? Or is Django just for frontend web making and all you’d need to do is load up python scripts to a server instead?

Is that for a backend that would take in information passed from Dialogflow/Flow xo and give it logic if needed, or send info to be stored in a database like SQL or google cloud? Then pass it on to Heroku? ( I’m sure IF i got any of those things correct, they are out of order.)

1. The need for these parts mentioned above and number 2, the order in which info would start in one end, flow through the process and flow back to the user.

2. Still not really understanding the use of Heroku. Github is where your code lives. You need to have a git to have a Heroku account. Does it act as a server? Heroku and Google Cloud the same?

3. If what I’m thinking is right, where you can use Dialogflow and a backend and Heroku…what is the need for Flow xo? Is flow xo a backend/middleman done up without me having to code? And the services i can add inside of flow xo are really API’s of other services?

If anyone could find the time to answer this post I’d be really really grateful.

(Karen Barker) #2

Hi Samson,

Flow XO is a visual platform to allow you to easily build and create your own chatbot through a GUI interface with no programming experience required. All integrations are simply API calls to the relevant 3rd party service, but done in a way that a Flow XO user doesn’t need to have the technical knowledge to put together the webhooks.

(Samson) #3

So flow xo acts as (since I’m learning python and no where near ready to try to make a bot there) Python scripts submitted to github that allow for basic back and forth conversations and HTTP API gets/posts that would, then be connected/hosted on Heroku.

And Dialogflow enhances Flow xo or Python scripts by using thier NLP algos to create a more richer conversation?

Am I following all this correctly? For the record I have another account with Flow Xo since early last year and I just didn’t have the time to get into it like I’m doing now. So I’m definitely loving the service. But since I’m learning code, I’ve gained better insight into the coding world that has naturally brought up questions about how and what things are.