How to search for partial string in Google Sheets?

(JESSE BLAINE) #1

Any guidance on how to search for partial string match when performing a google sheets operation?

For instance if a name is Timothy…just using the string input “Tim”

Thanks

(Sarah Palombo) #2

Hi Jesse

Unfortunately the Search In Google Sheets is looking for a specific Value rather than a (contains) so i don’t this is possible unfortunately !

We couldn’t think of a way to get results then filter based on the contains either - Sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

Sarah

(Karen Barker) #3

Hi Jesse,

Just to add to this - as Sarah says there is no way within the Flow XO standard integrations in which to do this. If you have any experience with javascript programming, I believe you could use the Google Sheets > List Rows to return all rows and then use the Code service to loop through and return the ones that contain the value you require.

1 Like
(JESSE BLAINE) #4

Karen,

That’s a good idea…I’ll give it a shot.

Jesse

(Coli Fo) #5

Hi, I have similar question. Is it possible to apply filter not on the exact match, but on partial, like Question column is “How many rooms” and if customer writing “How many rooms?” bot doesnt understand. As well like customer quite often adding longer questions like how many rooms is there…and etc… I mean begining of the question is the same as mine in the google sheet Question row… so how to apply filter or what other advise could be how to make the bot understand such questions? Many thanks
p.s its my first chatbot so I am very new in this…

(Karen Barker) #6

Hi,

Unfortunately the Google Sheets search option will only find a match for the exact phrase given and not a partial phrase I’m afraid. The only way to really be able to draw the users intenet would be to use a service such as Dialog Flow to pass back the users intent in their question and have the values you set up in Dialog Flow as intents be the values in the Question column.

(Coli Fo) #7

Thank you for advise… but Im still confused… the think is that I have like an example 20 hotels on my site, and after customer tells the name of the hotel he is interested in I need to give him an aswers to his questions about his favorite hotel… so i have to make like 20 separate google sheets with Q and A about each hotel, as I understood if i will use your advise bot will use the same answers about all hotels… is there any other way to make 1 flow with q and a about all hotels? or how to make my bot more cleaver in answering questions?

(Karen Barker) #8

Hi,

Rather than 20 different Google Sheets you could use a different worksheet within the same Google Sheet for each hotel instead. That way when the user has chosen their specific hotel you can search the correct worksheet for the answer to the question.

(Coli Fo) #9

Thank you so much! and the last question is : is it possible to make cleaver bot on this platform to let bot lear by it self? or i need to use special codes,platforms or other?

(Daniel Beckett) #10

@Coli_Fo

Flow XO does not currently use any kind of Artificial Intelligence services and instead relies on Word & Phrase Matching. All bot responses and logic is setup by the user to work with the integrated services. Whilst we don’t have any artificial intelligence services it is possible to use our Webhooks & HTTP service to connect to external intent parsing platforms like Dialogflow and wit.ai to add natural language processing capabilities. There’s a tutorial for Using Flow XO with Dialogflow which explains this in more detail.