Don't show old messages on web messenger?

(Matías Verges) #1

When a User is returning to my website, a cookie was created from the widget IFrame, and so it retrieves the old messages from that User.

I tried to delete the cookie from myself, but as it is generated from the IFrame I couldn’t delete it.

Is there a way, or any suggestion, on how to NOT show the old messages?

Thanks

(Sarah Palombo) #2

Hi Matias

Unfortunately this isn’t possible. :worried:

The log would only reset if a user cleared their history or cache for instance but there’s no way to start a fresh visit (removing the old messages) unfortunately!

Sarah

(Matías Verges) #3

Thanks Sarah, I created a suggestion for this.

(Manali Acharya) #4

Do we have this feature now?

To not show the old messages?

(Karen Barker) #5

Hi Manali,

Unfortunately no this isn’t available at the moment. The Web Messenger is designed to imitate other chat channels such as Facebook Messenger where the state is preserved from one chat to another.

(Alison Barrett) #6

If there is truly no way to clear or hide old messages, this is a big security issue. If someone is using our bot on a public computer, their message history is available to anyone else using that computer later, especially since the cookie is set to never expire.

The solutions Matías presented in his suggestion would be ideal, so we could isolate user sessions.

(Karen Barker) #7

Hi @AlisonGKL,

I appreciate the concerns you have raised here and have raised this internally to our development team. I have also added this as an idea on the roadmap. Please do pop over and vote for this.

(Alison Barrett) #8

Thanks for the quick reply, and for the escalation to the development team. I just voted for the idea in Trello.

After discovering this issue, we’d have to stop using Flow XO completely if there is no way around this. We can’t risk users’ personal information being revealed to other users. We have thousands of people sending tens of thousands of messages each month right now, and we really want to continue using Flow XO if we can. Is there any workaround we can implement?

(Daniel Beckett) #9

Hi @AlisonGKL

Sorry but there’s no workaround for this at the moment. The user would need to manually clear their browser cache as there’s no remote way to do this from Flow XO.

(Alison Barrett) #10

When you say the user would need to clear their browser cache, do you mean the identity cookie set on the widget.flowxo.com domain? I find that when I delete this cookie manually, the chat history is gone the next time it loads.

Is there any way to delete this cookie through Javascript, or anything we can do during instantiation of the widget to trigger a new value for it?

(Daniel Beckett) #11

Hi @AlisonGKL

There’s no way to clear it from the Flow XO side, i.e. to force it on the user. I can’t say for certain whether this is something you could force from the web page using custom development.