Set User identity from Web Messenger API or Not pull previous messages

(Matías Verges) #1

Use Cases:

• Prompting for Feedback. I want to ask my Users for feedback on my web. There is no value for me on keeping track of the previous conversation, actually, it is confusing.
  • Receiving Feedback. Users will click on the Web Messenger to give feedback. There is no value for me on keeping track of the previous conversation, actually, it is confusing.

Understandings:

• I understand that the UserID from FlowXO serves for several features, like setting Attributes. Nevertheless, as I have a fully developed backend on my website, I can send that on every new session.
  • I also understand that FlowXO analytics will be affected by having always New Users.

Proposed solutions:

1. The best possible solution would be having a FxoMessenger.create({ noHistory: true }) method, this will just avoid having the previous message when you create the Chat Widget.
  2. Second best would be to allow us to do FxoMessenger.create({ userIdentity: '<something>' })
  3. Another option would be to at least allow us to Reset the UserIdentity from the cookies, as it is not accessible through JS. Something like FxoMessenger.resetUserIdentity(), and it deletes the UserIdentity cookies.

PS: I’m a developer myself, and I’m ok with writing the code for it, but the Web Messenger API is not open. My Github user is matismasters, just in case you can give me access and I can make a PR.

PS2: I’m following up on this question

Don't show old messages on web messenger?
Don't show old messages on web messenger?
(Mark Stralka) #2

I agree that being able to reset a user’s identity by clearing the cookie would be really helpful.

Use case:
We’ve embedded the Web Messenger into a Cordova mobile app and built our own UI to respond to the Web Messenger events, instead of displaying the IFRAME.

When a user logs out of our app, we need to clear the cookie that widget.flowxo.com put into the UIWebView browser, because if a different user logs into the app on the same device, FlowXO thinks it’s the previous person because of the cookie it put in the app’s UIWebView cookie store.

There is a Cordova plugin that lets us clear the cookies to work around this missing feature of the Web Messenger API, but being able to reset a user’s FlowXO identity by clearing the cookie would also help in public settings, like on a Library computer, where the cookies aren’t cleared for each user.

(Karen Barker) #3

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. There is an idea on our roadmap to give the ability to clear the conversation history for the Web Messenger. Please do pop across and vote on this. :slight_smile:

(Mark Stralka) #4

Thanks I just did that!