Contains condition of filter is not working for NLP/NLU (type)

(Vinay Aralimatti) #1

When the options to the choice question appear, click works fine. But when I want to type the choice instead of clicking, why do i have to type the exact same thing that’s there in the option. Why the contains condition in the filter doesn’t work when I type just a part of the option? Any workarounds to fix this issue?

(Karen Barker) #2

Hi Vinay,

A filter on an action runs before the action itself to decide if that action should actually happen or not. For example if you’ve got a yes/no question you could then filter your next message to send 1 thing if the answer to that question is yes and something different if the answer is no. The filter isn’t designed to work on the answer the user currently is entering I’m afraid.

We assume that if you’re giving a user a choice question then you do want the exact answer going forward in your flow - for instance so you could filter future actions on this answer etc. Therefore there is no way to give the choice option, but to allow the user to answer something similar in text. If you are happy for the user to be able to answer in text with any free text you could use the “Text” question type. :thumbsup:

(Vinay Aralimatti) #3

Thank you for answering.

The thing is we want both menu based clicking and nlp together. For
example, if I have a option ‘34 MB/ $10’ to select, obviously the clicking
part will work when I want some corresponding message to be displayed with
filter applied.
But when I type, let’s say ‘34’ and I apply filter as “Contains 34”, it
doesn’t work. But if type the exact text that’s there in the option, it
will work.

So basically the contains condition for keyboard reply is not working.

Is there a solution for this?

(Karen Barker) #4

Hi Vinay,

If you’re using a choice question there is no way to allow the user to enter any value other than the exact preset text I’m afraid.

If you used a text question and then filtered the following action on for example “Question answer contains 34” then that should filter that action to only run if the answer contains 34.