Choosing more than one choice

(Matthew Bartlett) #1

Hi folks

I’m working on replacing a paper form with a FlowXO based bot. It’s going well so far but I’ve gotten stuck on handling a question about ethnicity. I want people to be able to choose more than one option, but I’ve not figured out how to do that. If I offer choices, once the user has picked one, the buttons disappear, of course:

I’d love to hear your suggestions!

Matthew

(Daniel Beckett) #2

@mhjb

Unfortunately there’s no multiple-choice feature but you could have another question after that one which asks the user if they need to select another ethnicity. If they answer yes to that question you can use a Filter on a followup question that gives them the options again.

(Matthew Bartlett) #3

Thanks Daniel. Can you suggest a way of — when I ask the question a second time — removing the option that was chosen the first time?

(Daniel Beckett) #4

@mhjb

Not without setting up a lot of questions and filters, not really a practical solution :frowning:

An alternative solution here could be to setup a Label and GoTo Label action from the Flow service with the label before your first question and the GoTo Label action after your second question with a filter for Answer 1 = Answer 2.

Something like:
Label: Ethnicity
Bot > Ask a Question 1 “Please select your ethnicity from the below options”
Bot > Ask a Question 2 “Would you like to select another ethnicity?” (Yes/No)
Bot > Ask a Question 3 IF Question 2 = Yes “Please select your ethnicity from the below options”
GoTo Label Ethnicity IF Question 1 Answer = Question 3 Answer

(Matthew Bartlett) #5

Thanks Daniel. One other way that occurs to me would be to in the body of the question just list out the options for people, and just ask them to write a comma separated list of the ethnicities that apply. Would require a bit of cleaning of the data later but that might be okay.

(Daniel Beckett) #6

That would work too. I’m not usually the biggest believer in trusting the user to provide the right input though! :laughing:

If you go down that route you could check out the Text service to sort through their answers.