Changes affecting broadcasts to Messenger users

(John Jackson) #1

We have some important news about changes Facebook are making. They affect how broadcasts to Messenger users are handled in Flow XO.

What is happening?

Facebook now require all page owners to apply for ‘subscription messaging permission’ if they want to send non-promotional messages to users more than 24 hours after last interacting with a bot.

Can I send promotional content?

Promotional content (offers, coupons, etc.) must never be sent to Messenger users after the 24 hour window.

However, promotional content is allowed in direct response to a message or within this 24 hour window.

You may want to find out more about Messenger’s policies.

How does this affect me?

If you’ve had your Messenger bot for a while, then you have until the end of this year (31st December) to apply for this permission. In the meantime, you can continue to send non-promotional broadcasts, but it would be wise to apply for subscription messaging permission as soon as possible.

If you’ve only recently created your Messenger bot (since approximately February), then you’ll need to apply for subscription messaging permission straight away. Until then, broadcasts sent to Messenger users may fail.

How do I apply for subscription messaging?

Follow Facebook’s own guide to find out how you can get your page reviewed.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Shortly, we’ll add an option to choose a ‘Facebook Message Type’ when sending a message.

When this is available, if your message is expected to go to a Messenger user (especially after 24 hours, either through a broadcast trigger or not), make sure the correct type is chosen.

More questions?

Our friendly support team are always on hand. Either contact support or ask your question right here.